Tuesday, November 13, 2012

So I'm a Bit of a Flower Child


So I could NOT get this beautiful piece of wall art out of my head after seeing it on Pinterest...





...and I just knew I had to figure out how to make it. From the picture, it was pretty clear I need canvas and scrapbook paper. But what else to do? What was the best way to accomplish my task?
It's Doable gave me the answer with their beautiful tutorial. After a quick trip to the store, where I picked up a 9"x12" canvas, black acrylic paint, sponge brushes, scrapbook paper, and Mod Podge, I was ready to begin.
First, I painted my entire canvas black, including the sides. It took two coats, but each took only about 15-20 minutes to dry.



I spent the wait time between coats cutting out petals. Though my inspiration picture and tutorial used varied colors, I decided on a more monochromatic set of turquoise scrapbooking paper. Each petal is about 1.5" long and varies in width. I cut out a circle from a black patterned paper and began to set out the petals on the canvas around the center spot.




I love the color and the patterns!




Then I went through and painted the back of each and every piece with Mod Podge to glue it down. If the petal hung over the edge just a little, I glued it over. Any longer than the side edge, and the petal got a trim. Once all of the petals were safely secured, I sealed the entire piece with the same matte finish Mod Podge I'd used as glue.

Here's the finished product:




I'm SO happy with how it turned out. I actually bought three canvases, so I'm thinking about doing two more flowers in two different colors to make a set...maybe pink and purple?

What inspiration have you found online? Any DIY projects you're looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment